Thursday, January 16, 2003

Chargesheet filed against 30 in Jhajjar

NEW DELHI, JANUARY 15: Exactly three months after five Dalits were lynched at Dulina in Jhajjar, chargesheets against the 30 accused in the case were filed at the sessions court today.

The court had granted anticipatory bail to all the accused last week on the grounds that the case did not come under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1987 and that ''it is not possible for any public man to influence such police official witnesses.''

''Despite the bail, we are not going to let go of the accused. We are going to challenge the bail at every step,'' said Jhajjar SP Akil Muhammed. Proceedings have also begun to chargesheet 15 police and administrative personnel, including the City Magistrate present at the spot. ''The one-man inquiry team had indicted the police and the authorities and hence we have to take action,'' said Muhammad.

The court order said there was nothing to show that the applicant knew the victims were Harijans. ''It appears that there was mob violence and people belonging to many communities participated in the alleged commission of the offence. Even four Harijans have been arrested in the case,'' said the six-page order.

The accused were asked to furnish a bond of Rs 10,000 each and directed to join the investigations as and when required. The trial is expected to start on February 5.

Source: The Indian Express, January 16, 2003

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home